Call 01702 351937 to book or contact us using the form below.
Reservations required for parties of 6 or more.
We are a family run business and have owned The Mermaid since 2010. We have always lived locally and loved the seafront, so when an opportunity came up to become part of the community, we jumped at the chance.
ABOUT THE ARCHES
The Arches were built from 1905 to 1906. They were officially known as the Palmeira Arches and served as boat houses for the Palmeira Towers above. Originally the Arches were separated by the beach by only 6 feet. Widening the Western Esplanade began in 1905 and continued until 1915. Clay was brought down from London, leftover from work expanding the London Underground.
After the road widening, people tended to promenade between the Pier and Chalkwell so there was a need for refreshment stops. By the time the First World War was over, nearly all the Arches had become cafes and tea shops. Around that time there were 33 hotels and 130 Boarding Houses in the local area.